Wayne Bertsch brings 20 years of experience having provided a range of government relations, political analysis and intelligence, grassroots/grasstops advocacy, candidate and issue campaign consulting for clients that include: Statewide, Legislative, local government candidates, corporate and trade associations.
Wayne served over 11 years as the Director of Political Affairs and Lobbyist for the Florida Home Builders Association (FHBA) with responsibilities that included: fundraising, managing, targeting, recruiting and evaluation of candidates and or issues; lobbying the Legislative and Executive Branch, advising and maintaining the Association PAC ($1.2 million per cycle, 6 cycles and numerous Specials) and participating in related coalitions to support or oppose issues related but not limited to; construction, growth management and development, workforce education and training (Appropriations) government financing and taxes, energy, property casualty and workers’ comp insurance, and permitting, to name a few.
Before joining the Home Builders, Wayne was the Operations Director for the Florida Dole for President Campaign and field operations in during the Iowa Caucuses and New Hampshire Primary. Wayne began his political experience serving as a legislative aide in the Florida House of Representatives.
Wayne Bertsch is a graduate of The Florida State University, earning a degree in Political Science and Communications. He is a member of the American Association of Political Consultants, founding member of the Florida Association of Professional Lobbyists and lives in Tallahassee, Florida.
Public/Legislative/Government Affairs Executive
Corporate Communications | Public Relations | Government Relations | Social Media Strategies
Change catalyst with 19 years of experience defining B2B and B2C integrated logistical and promotion strategies and translating them into high-impact results for corporate, public, and nonprofit organizations. Strong track record of successful planning and execution of: corporate, trade association, and community events; state and local political campaigns and government relations efforts. Authentic leader with the ability to solidify trust, clarify purpose, align organizational systems, unleash individual talents, and build long-standing, collaborative relationships.
Strategic Planning · Change Management · Event Planning ·Consulting · Project Management · Branding · Startups & Turnarounds Team Leadership · Business Development · Product Marketing · Client Relations · Political/Legislative Analysis · Campaign Fund Raising
Cornerstone Solutions — Tallahassee, FL 2010–Present
Full-service public affairs, political consulting, and strategic communications firm.
Provide strategic and tactical leadership for political campaigns, including recruiting candidates and advocacy clients for state, local, and referenda campaigns. Write compelling content for direct mail, website, television and radio commercials, newspaper ads, telephone scripts, and social media, plus logistical and direct message development for events and direct voter contact.
- Orchestrated a statewide education campaign promoting a “no” vote on a proposed constitutional amendment, including volunteer recruitment, voter registration drive, Get Out the Vote effort, and targeting of 2 million voters with messages via direct mail, email, website, social media, television, and telephone calls. Amendment defeated by 67% of votes.
- Defined and implemented a state senator’s re-election campaign, targeting 75,000 active voters with direct mail, absentee voter communications, and Election Day communications. Analyzed voter files to segment only likely voters in a non-Presidential election year.
- Co-led expansion of services to corporations and trade associations, offering voter, constituent, and membership training as well as issue education and candidate training. Planned and executed conferences and events for clients.
- Planned and implemented a state House candidate’s primary election campaign comprised of direct mail, web and social media, and absentee voter/Election Day communications targeting 35,000 voters. Delivered messages to specific constituencies based on local issues, age, and other demographic details.
Civility Management LLC — Tallahassee, FL 2007–Present
Full-service government relations and campaign firm operating in Florida.
Owner · President
Deliver sophisticated campaign strategies and execution for clients requiring assistance with the passage or defeat of legislation or agency rules. Organize education and public relations efforts, build grassroots and grasstops efforts, and plan events including rallies, press conferences, forums, and receptions. Prepare and implement communications plans using direct mail, telephone, website, social media, TV, and radio. Create action plans for candidate or political action committee fundraising. Provide logistical and operational services for client conferences, meetings and events.
Clients: Construction, development, software, financial, and manufacturing companies; trade associations
Representative Issues: Environmental and Growth Management; Licensing; Education, Juvenile Justice, Environmental and Growth Management Appropriations; Building Codes; Insurance – Property Casualty and Workers’ Compensation; Local Government Financing; Election Law
- Promoted passage of profession licensing statutes for home and mold inspectors.
- Defeated several measures that would have negatively impact small businesses and licensed professionals in the construction industry.
- Facilitated passage of appropriations to fund education and training for hurricane preparedness, hardening, and response.
- Educated decision-makers and opinion leaders on policies related to energy, growth management, and professional licensing.
TargetVote.com — Tallahassee, FL 1998–Present
Specialists in voter contact and grassroots campaigns.
Partner · Shareholder
Provide outsourced campaign support through phone banks, message development, demographic analysis and campaign strategy. Offer live and automated telephone call programs including Get Out the Vote and other grassroots initiatives.
- Developed and marketed a subscription-based smart phone application providing a guide to Florida’s legislative and executive branches. Recognized by professional lobbyist community for innovative product and tool rapidly becoming essential for state lobbyist professionals.
- Exceeded the million-call mark for campaigns for the fourth election cycle in a row.
- Identified and targeted specific demographics and controlled message delivery to constituencies segmented by issues.
Florida Home Builders Association — Tallahassee, FL 1996–2007
Member organization representing Florida’s residential construction industry.
Lobbyist · Director of Political Affairs
Led trade association’s political/public affairs function; advised volunteer leadership and members, directed and managed 29 local executives and 15 government relations executives on the impact of proposed legislation and regulatory policies. Developed a wide range of productive contacts within the Florida legislature and the executive branch. Produced grassroots and grasstops programs to influence opinions on statutes and legislation. Managed PAC providing up to $1.2M per election cycle.
- Propelled FHBA goals by advising PAC members on raising and distributing funds, providing technical support to candidates, and orchestrating third-party advocacy communications.
- Spearheaded grasstops and grassroots efforts to defeat the Hometown Democracy initiative. Participated as statewide campaign staff to mobilize trade associations and business groups.
Dole for President — Tallahassee, FL 1995
Deputy Director of Operations & Administration
Directed Florida operations and administrative office for Dole campaign during Republican Party of Florida’s Presidency III straw poll efforts and Primary Election. Hired and trained staff and volunteers, managed budget, drove organizational and communication plans, and planned and hosted events at various convention sites.
Provided communications and operations for 1996 Republican National Convention in San Diego.
Co-produced New Gingrich’s “Our Great Country” concert and Gala Dinner.
Deputy Producer for 1996 Republican National Committee Gala Dinner in Washington, DC, selecting vendors, implementing staff plan, training volunteer staff, writing event program/script and troubleshooting event.
Legislative Assistant III, Florida House of Representatives — North Palm Beach, FL 1992–1995
Political Software Consultant, GLM Computer Group, Inc. — Tallahassee, FL 1992
Leon Soil and Water Conservation District – Tallahassee, FL
Supervisor ● Elected by Leon County Voters 2011-2015
Elected to a four year term to develop and implement soil and water conservation practices on private lands. Cooperate with federal, state, regional, and other local partners in managing publicly-owned lands.
Bachelor of Science in Political Science, The Florida State University
Associate of Arts, Palm Beach Community College